Chevrolet has released a teaser video revealing one useful feature available for the upcoming all-electric Silverado. It is about Four-Wheel Steer.
The company says this function enables the pickup to turn all four wheels “for increased agility and tighter turning, especially at low speeds”.
More precisely, the Silverado EV’s 24-inch wheels and rear-axle steering will help tighten its turning radius by slightly turning the rear wheels in the opposite direction of the front ones.
Other electric pickups have similar features. For example, the Rivian R1T has a so-called Tank Turn function: the vehicle’s electric motors rotate the left wheels in the opposite direction of the right wheels to spin the R1T on its axis.
The GMC Hummer EV boasts Crab Walk Mode – this is when the truck’s rear-axle steering system turns all four wheels in the same direction. The vehicle can effectively ride diagonally and avoid an obstacle rather than trying a multipoint turn.
Well, the electric Chevrolet Silverado has to match the competitive segment it enters.
Five known facts about the Silverado EV we’d like to share:
- It utilizes the GM’s Ultium battery platform
- It will offer a choice of battery sizes and powertrain configurations
- Its driving range achieves 400 miles
- A work-oriented version will be available, as well as a version with higher level equipment
- Production is to start in 2023.