On the eve of the world premiere of the new-generation Volkswagen Golf, we publish a series of articles about previous generations of the most popular model of the brand.
Let’s remember the Golf Mk5. It arrived in 2003 and set standards in terms of comfort, dynamics and quality.
New body variants added, the car body’s torsional rigidity increased by 35 percent. Side airbags in the rear came with the Mk5 for the first time, in conjunction with the standard airbags.
Golf Mk5 annual figures
- laser-welded doors, underbody, roof seam, side panels;
- multi-link rear axle;
- new 7-speed DSG;
- electromechanical power steering.
- debut of the first turbocharged direct petrol injection engine in the Golf GTI (147 kW/200 hp).
- world’s first Twincharger (TSI, turbocharger and compressor);
- debut of the Golf Plus.
- premieres of the new Variant and the Golf BlueMotion, the latter with an average consumption of just 4.5 l/100 km (52.3 mpg);
- production milestone of 25 million VW Golfs since 1974.
- phase-out after 3.4 million vehicles produced.
We remind that the world premiere of the next-generation Volkswagen Gold Mk8 wil take place on October 24th, 2019.
Europe / Middle East – live HD Feed timing is
06.00 pm – 07.50 pm CEST /
04.00 pm – 05.50 pm GMT