On the eve of the world premiere of the new eighth-generation Volkswagen Golf, we publish a series of articles about the previous seven generations of the brand’s most popular model.
Yesterday we remembered the style icon Mk4, now about the Golf Mk3.
With a launch of the Volkswagen Golf Mk3 in 1991, the company started a new era of safety.
Golf Mk3 annual figures
- first six-cylinder engine in the compact class (VR6);
- service interval display in the cockpit;
- oxidizing catalytic converter in diesel engines;
- water-soluble paints.
- first driver and front passenger airbags.
- debuts of the 1st Golf Variant, the 2nd Golf Cabriolet and Golf syncro generation;
- first turbo diesel direct injection engine (TDI) in a compact car;
- a milestone of 15 million produced Golfs.
- first suction diesel direct injection engine in a compact vehicle (SDI);
- laser welding – attempts with 80 cm roof joints in the Golf Variant.
- automatic brake system becomes standard;
- standard side airbags for the Golf “Family” special edition, optional in all other Golfs;
- phase-out after 4.83 million vehicles produced.
We remind that the world premiere of the next-generation Volkswagen Gold Mk8 wil take place on October 24th, 2019.
Europe / Middle East – live HD Feed timing is
06.00 pm – 07.50 pm CEST /
04.00 pm – 05.50 pm GMT