Audi has completely unveiled a new generation of its most compact model. The 2019 Audi A1 will start to arrive to dealers already in July. What are the main differences of the new car from the model of the first generation? We selected 5 most interesting facts.
1. The new A1 will be produced only in a five-door body. The hatchback shares the Volkswagen’s MQB platform with the VW Polo and the SEAT Ibiza of the latest generations. Like its predecessor, the A1 of the second generation will be produced at the SEAT’s factory in Martorell, Spain.
2. The second-generation A1 has overall dimensions of 4 030 x 1,740 x 1410 mm, so, it is a bit larger than the car of the previous generation. Accordingly, more interior and more volume of the trunk (335 against 270 liters).
3. The presence of the MMI infotainment system, which migrated from the flagship A8. In the top versions there is a 10.1-inch display, and in cars of middle and initial trim levels it is 8.8-inch. The instrument panel is digital.
4. Engines. There will be no diesel options. Absolutely. The petrol line includes three TFSI: 1.0-liter three-cylinder (96 and 118 hp), 1.5-liter (150 hp) and 2.0-liter (200 hp) . All versions are front-wheel driven and are offered with six-speed manual or seven-speed automatic double-clutch gearboxes. A six-speed S tronic auto transmission is used on the 40 TFSI flagship version..
5. Safety systems. Include a warning about leaving the lane, an adaptive cruise control and a reversing camera that debuts on the A1. In addition, there is a radar technology for recognizing vehicles, pedestrians or cyclists in poor conditions, such as snow or rain.