Green Mercedes-Benz

Mercedes Will Make Fully Cabron‑Neutral Cars by 2029

Mercedes-Benz plans to achieve CO2-neutral car production in Europe from 2022 and knows what steps help do it.

As part of the automaker’s “Ambition 2039″ vision, the aim is to offer a carbon‑neutral new car fleet 20 years from now.

Environmental check for the Mercedes EQC

The Mercedes-Benz EQC 400 4MATIC, the first vehicle of the EQ family, is launched this year. Its electric powertrain produces 300 kW (408 hp) and 760 Nm (561 lb-ft) of torque.

0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) acceleration takes just 5.1 seconds, the top speed is 180 km/h (112 mph). The high-capacity 80-kWh battery provides a range up to 471 km/293 mi (NEDC) or about 205 miles EPA estimated.

The starting price is Germany is from 71,281 euros. The American price is coming soon.

Recently this model has successfully undergone a so-called environmental check. This check gives a realistic picture of CO2 footprint. Environmental effects of a vehicle are examined over the entire lifecycle, from the mining of raw materials to the production, use and eventual disposal.

On the example of the EQC, Mercedes proves that by using clean energy from renewable sources to charge batteries, CO2 footprint can be practically halved.

Eco-balance of the Mercedes-Benz EQC image

Renewable energy during operation lowers the overall energy balance of the EQC. Energy saving is around 34%.

A source of energy is decisive

Compared with an internal combustion engine car, an electric vehicle is able to compensate initially higher CO2 emissions which occur during the energy-consuming production of battery cells.

If to operate electric cars only with renewable energy sources, carbon dioxide emissions shrink by up to 70% over the lifecycle.

51% of the entire lifecycle CO2 emissions occur during the EV production phase, the rest 49% – during the operating phase, but a source of energy is decisive.

CO2-neutral production

Mercedes-Benz plans to achieve CO2-neutral production from 2022 getting power, in particular, from national wind farms. The company is the first large industrial purchaser from this source.

This green energy will be used for the EQC manufacture at the plant in Bremen, and for battery production at the site in Kamenz, Saxony.

At the Bremen Customer Centre, the EQC is also charged with solar energy before handover to customers.

Recycled materials

By 2030, Mercedes intends to reduce the use of primary resources in the powertrain and battery technology by 40%.

The upscale “Response” upholstery fabric developed for the EQC is fully made of recycled PET plastic bottles.

The manufacturer uses recycled plastic in a spare wheel recess or covers for the engine underside, as wells as hemp, kenaf, wool and paper renewable raw materials in the load compartment.

In the new Mercedes-Benz EQC, 100 components in total can be made partially from resource-friendly materials.

Second life for EV batteries

Mercedes-Benz has developed four stages for battery recycling:

  • re-use – cleaning work and exchanging parts;
  • repair – replacement of individual battery’s modules;
  • remanufacturing – complete dismantling into component parts;
  • reMat -recycling and recovery of valuable content materials.   

The company has already set up a central reclamation unit at the Mannheim site.

Source: Daimler Global Media Site

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to top