The other day, the Golden Steering Wheel 2019 Awards cerenomy took place, at which Tesla’s CEO announced a Gigafactory 4.
Bild am Sonntag, Germany’s weekly automotive newspaper, and the European Auto-Bild group awarded the Golden Steering Wheel 2019 winners on November 12, 2019 at a gala evening in the Axel Springer building in Berlin.
Axel Springer, we remind, is the publisher who established this prestigious international prize in 1976. So the best cars of the year have been awarded for the 43th time.
Around 200 prominent guests from the automotive sector, the media and politics visited the event, Elon Musk was among them.
This year award-winner list includes:
- Small: Audi A 1 Sportback
- Compact: BMW 1 Series
- Mid-size: Tesla Model 3 (eCar)
- Small SUV: Mazda CX-30
- Mid-size SUV: Jaguar I-Pace (eCar)
- Sports car: Toyota Supra
- Large SUV: Audi e-tron (eCar)
- Most attractive car Auto: BMW 8 Series
- Best car under 25,000 euros: Skoda Kamiq
- Best car under 35,000 euros: Kia XCeed
- Best innovation: Michelin airless tires
Mr. Musk announced the construction of Gigafactory 4 in Berlin area, where they would make electric cars, batteries and electric powertrains. The plant should be ready by 2021.
The first model to produce there will be the Tesla Model Y.