The next-generation learn-capable human-centric MBUX system makes the vehicle’s control and comfort functions easier. The new Mercedes-Benz S-Class is the first to adopt it.
The major innovations include the augmented reality head-up display (AR-HUD), 3D driver display, MBUX Interior Assist, OLED technology, and Voice assistant “Hey Mercedes”.
1. AR-HUD: provides a great deal of augmented reality content for driver assistance functions and navigation information. Two different head-up displays are available on request, one of them an innovative variant with a particularly large image.
The aperture angle of the display is 10° horizontal and 5° vertical. The image appears virtually at a distance of 10 m. This display area corresponds to a monitor with a 77-inch diagonal.
2. 3D driver display: an innovative auto-stereoscopic display creates an impression of spatial depth, when the eyes of a viewer perceive different perspective views of an object.
It combines a conventional LCD display with a special pixel structure and a controllable LCD aperture grille.
A stereo camera system is integrated into the display to determine precisely the eye position of the viewer. Adapts distances and has a very low-latency system configuration, continuously adjusts the image.
3. MBUX Interior Assist: using cameras in the overhead control panel, this system recognizes – interprets head direction, hand movements, body language – and anticipates the wishes and intentions of the occupants, responds with appropriate vehicle functions.
The driver and passengers can link personal favorites with the system. Enhances operating convenience, improves safety, – for example, checks whether a child seat is correctly attached.
4. OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) technology: in the S-Class, it is located behind a glass facing. In combination with the actuators and pressure sensors behind it, provides a comprehensive control and display experience.
When showing typical video sequences, it consumes 30% less energy than LCD technology. OLED panels emit light when subjected to an electric current. Needs no external background lighting.
Power is only consumed where pixels light up. The technology ensures a better black level and stronger contrasts.
5. Voice assistant “Hey Mercedes”: Listens to almost every word and understands any sentence relating to infotainment sector and vehicle operation in 27 languages.
Recognizes indirect speech as well, like “I am cold”, varies in the dialogue output. Evaluates the data / decides / sends a reply in a few seconds. Varies in the dialogue output, answers even if there is no connectivity.