2021 Ram 1500 TRX, nicknamed the T. rex, with impressive off-road equipment has been finally introduced.
The model comes in a short-bed and a crew-cab configuration. Ram also offers a limited-run Launch Edition.
A monstrous Hellcat supercharged 6.2-liter eight-cylinder 702-hp engine powers the vehicle.
The mill has a 29-liter airbox mounted on the top, which filters out, feeds cool, and cleans air. The dust-trapping capacity is four times better than any other pickup’s.
Highly-adjustable Bilstein adaptive dampers and 35-inch all-terrain tires come standard for this version.
The meaty fender flares make the Ram 1500 TRX 8.0 inches wider than the standard model. Its track is 6.0 inches wider too.
The off-road equipment includes:
- a BorgWarner 48-13 full-time active transfer case with a 2.64:1 low range;
- an electronically locking differential;
- an independent front suspension with upper and lower control arms;
- Dana 60 rear axle with a five-link coil-spring suspension setup that is good for high-speed off-roading;
- a high-strength steel frame with five skid plates and steel bumpers;
- a full-length rock rail;
- powder-coated aluminum running boards;
- a bed-mounted spare tire;
- added accessories from Mopar;
- off-road drive modes (Mud/Sand, Rock and Baja) adjusting 4WD, suspension, transmission, throttle response, steering;
- off-road pages displaying the ride height, transfer case position, pitch and roll on the 7.0-inch gauge cluster and standard 12-inch touchscreen.
The model’s cabin is packed with screens, controls, and luxury touches. It features the things, not typical for a pickup truck, like a launch control, an optional head-up display, and aluminum paddle shifters (first used in a Ram truck).
Inside you’ll find a flat-bottom steering wheel, a digital dashboard, a large 12-inch portrait-oriented touchscreen of FCA’s latest Uconnect 4C NAV infotainment system.
The center console has a wireless charging dock with five USB ports including the new USB C standard for newer Android phones, and two ones for rear passengers.
The cabin also hosts a 10-speaker audio system; a 19-speaker 900W Harman/Kardon audio system is optional.
The Trailer Reverse Steer Control is available as an option. The TRX has a maximum trailer tow weight of 8,100 pounds.
The 1500 TRX comes with 3 interior options: cloth and vinyl, leather and suede, leather and suede with red and carbon-fiber accents.
The 2021 Ram 1500 TRX is $13,555 more expensive than its direct rival, the crew-cab 2020 Ford F-150 Raptor. The TRX’s starting price is $71,690. The Launch Edition costs $90,265, only 702 units will be available.
Customer deliveries will begin in the 4th quarter of this year.