Kelley Blue Book named the winners of 2021 Best Resale Value Awards in every car category.
The list includes cars, pickup trucks, SUVs, a EV and a minivan with the best-in-class predicted resale value after 5 years of ownership. Results in percent are shown here near each model.
Kelley Blue Book predicts and tracks vehicle depreciation by way of analyzing such data as vehicle trims and specs, sales volume, auction results and economic conditions.
2021 Best Resale Value Cars
- Subaru Impressa (43.1%) – Best Compact Car
- Toyota Camry (40.9%) – Best Midsize Car
- Chevrolet Corvette (49.5%) – Best Sports Car
- Lexus IS (38.4%) – Best Entry-Level Luxury Car
- Lexus LS (33.0%) – Best Luxury Car
2021 Best Resale Value SUVs
- Subaru Crosstrek (50.4%) – Best Subcompact SUV
- Subaru Forester (45.0%) – Best Compact SUV
- Subaru Outback (41.3%) – Best 2-Row Midsize SUV
- Kia Telluride (47.0%) – Best 3-Row Midsize SUV
- GMC Yukon (46.4%) – Best Full-Size SUV
- Jeep Wrangler 4-Door (55.8%) – Best Off-Road SUV
- Volvo XC40 (37.3%) – Best Subcompact Luxury SUV
- Porsche Macan (42.0%) – Best Compact Luxury SUV
- Land Rover Range Rover Sport (34.8%) – Best 2-Row Midsize Luxury SUV
- BMW X7 (37.8%) – Best 3-Row Midsize Luxury SUV
- Mercedes-Benz G-Class (48.0%) – Best Full-Size Luxury SUV
2021 Best Resale Value Trucks, EVs, Minivan
- Toyota RAV4 Hybrid (48.6%) – Best Hybrid Car;
- Tesla Model X (47.3%) – Best Electric Vehicle
- Toyota Sienna (44.7%) – Best Minivan
- Toyota Tacoma (55.8%) – Best Midsize Pickup Truck
- Toyota Tundra (59.0%) – Best Full-Size Pickup Truck
- GMC Sierra HD (56.8%) – Best Heavy-Duty Pickup Truck
As we can see, the automakers with most winners are Toyota Motor Co. (5 awards Toyota, 2 awards Lexus) and Subaru (4 awards).
The trucks have the best predicted resale value after 5 years of ownership (above 55%). The Jeep Wrangler 4-Door is the best to keep value among SUVs.
The models to lose the most in value after 5 years of ownership (under 40%) are the Lexus IS and LS, Range Rover Sport, Volvo XC40 and the BMW X7.
Source: Kelley Blue Book