What Helped New Ford Focus Pass Harsh Crash Tests?
The new generation Ford Focus has won the top 5-Star safety rating from the Euro NCAP Committee. What technologies and engineering solutions helped achieving such a high level?
The new car has become one of the first to win the maximum score according to new, stricter crash test protocols.
In the process of creating Ford tested the new vehicle at the stand in German Cologne. The model received in particular 3 radars, 2 cameras and 12 ultrasound sensors. Engineers improved the body structure.
The list of functions that help drivers not to be distracted from the road includes:
- Adaptive cruise control with Stop & Go function;
- Speed Sign Recognition;
- Adaptive Front Lighting System;
- Head-up display (HUD) available for the first time for European customers.
The list of functions for avoidance of collisions or minimizing their consequences includes:
- Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian and Cyclist Detection Systems;
- Evasive Steering Assist System;
- Wrong Way Alert;
- Blind Spot Information System with Cross Traffic Alert.
The functions contributing to increasing the level of passenger safety during a collision are:
- Post-Collision Braking System;
- increased by 40% resistance to impact loads during the frontal collision (compared to the previous-generation cars), thanks to the body structure 33% made up of high strength steel and borated steel elements;
- driver and front passenger airbags, front side airbags, front and rear safety curtains;
- Support for eCall functions in the Focus models equipped with a built-in FordPass modem.
In addition, the unique Ford development debuted in the Focus – the Stability Control System.